Canonmills Garden has a very special neighbour
On this Remembrance Sunday click here to find out more about The Lady Haig Poppy Factory and here to donate to the Poppy Appeal 2018
The Lady Haig Poppy Factory opened in March 1926, employing men who had been disabled during World War 1 to make poppies for Scotland, and moved to the Warriston Road factory in Canonmills in 1965.
The factory currently has a work force of 40 ex-Servicemen, the large majority of whom are registered disabled. While it is a commercial organisation, the Lady Haig Poppy Factory is also a charity that provides dignity through work. There is a palpable feeling of the military about the place that provides a comfortable and secure atmosphere, for both visitors and workers alike.
As well as the five million poppies that are handmade each year, the factory also produce over 12,000 wreaths, Remembrance Crosses, long stemmed poppies and dress poppies, for sale to the public via the factory as well as processing over 25,000 collection tins and dispatching orders to Poppy Appeal Area Organisers all over Scotland.